Call Today For A Free Initial Consultation

Law Offices of Lance T. Marshall

Religious beliefs can lead to a legal separation

Do you want to get divorced, but do you have a religious background that prohibits it? Do you worry about what people will think or do you desperately not want to violate this code of conduct?

There may be a solution. Many couples just choose to quietly separate and live on their own. They're still married, and perhaps they'll get back together one day, but they decide to spend some time apart. It's not necessarily a short-term solution; they want to stay apart for the foreseeable future.

There are risks and problems if you do this on your own, however. For instance, maybe you have children. You and your spouse may have trouble deciding who has to pay for what or how you're going to split up the time you spend taking care of the kids. Maybe you have joint debts, like a mortgage on a home. You may not have any idea who is going to pay this off, what obligations the other person has and what to do if one person fails to pay.

The solution is a legal separation agreement. This document, which is similar to what you'd get during a divorce, gives you a legal basis for things like asset division, debt division, child custody, child support and everything else you're worried about. It protects your rights and gives you and your spouse a structured way to live apart for any amount of time.

All the while, you are still married.

Does this sound useful to you? If so, you must know all of the legal steps to take to set it up.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Law Offices of Lance T. Marshall
250 East Beaver Avenue
Suite 774
State College, PA 16801

Phone: 814-308-0422
Fax: 814-308-8552
State College Law Office Map