Call Today For A Free Initial Consultation

Law Offices of Lance T. Marshall

Never ignore a divorce filing

You do not want to get divorced. Your spouse does. They file for divorce. If you just ignore it, can that slow the process down or get your spouse to give up entirely?

No. We cannot stress this enough: Do not ignore this situation. Yes, it may sound tempting. Maybe you don't like confrontation. Maybe you don't take your partner seriously. Maybe you just assume that you have to go along with it for the divorce to go through at all.

It doesn't matter. You have to take this filing seriously, and you have to respond. If it goes to court, you need to show up. Ignoring it only makes things worse because then you have no say in how things play out in regards to property division, child custody and the like.

After all, your spouse can still seek a divorce -- and get it -- even if you ignore the entire thing. They don't actually need you to end the marriage. By telling you that they want a divorce, they give you a chance to have a hand in it, but they are not asking for your permission. They're just letting you know what they're going to do. They can do it either way, and you may regret it later if you do not respond and exercise your rights.

Instead of ignoring this situation, even though it's not something you ever wanted, make sure you take the time to carefully look into all of your legal options. Some of them may allow you to make the most of it, and protect your own future.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Law Offices of Lance T. Marshall
250 East Beaver Avenue
Suite 774
State College, PA 16801

Phone: 814-308-0422
Fax: 814-308-8552
State College Law Office Map